The Child FIRST program at UMFC is a centralised entry point for referrals and information about the support services offered within the local community. This information service is offered to families, community members and professionals through our intake team.
UMFC’s Family Services Program aims to support parents to better care for and nurture their children. Our purpose is to support families to develop skills not only to reach their current aims but also to support their family to thrive into the future.
Pre-School Field Officers
Our Preschool Field Officers (PSFO) work alongside early childhood educators and families to support children who attend kindergarten and have additional needs ensuring all children are able to access and learn in the kindergarten program regardless of their abilities.
Family Violence in a Child’s World
Family Violence in a Child’s World facilitated by UMFC’s Family Violence Child Safety Practitioners is a one day workshop that has been specifically developed for Early Childhood professionals to promote children’s wellbeing through building professionals’ capacity to:
- Understand what family violence is, how it hurts children and how it impacts their overall development
- Explore how what we think and feel influences how we work with children who are hurting
- Recognise and respond to children’s feelings and behaviours – hearing the voice of the child and providing safe responses to their needs
- Understand how to work safely with children who have/are thought to be experiencing family violence
- Use of mindfulness & reflection to help engage meaningfully with children
- Use books and other activities to help children express their emotions safely
- Explore barriers and strategies for talking to parents about the worries we have for children
- Know how to talk with parents and provide referral pathways for families in a safe and effective manner
This training is delivered via face to face interactive group discussion, activities, and PowerPoint presentation through a full day’s workshop. Training is available for delivery throughout Victoria, inclusive of regional and rural areas.
If you are interested in this workshop being facilitated at your workplace or within your region please contact Kath Kerin via email: [email protected]